New Silver Sneakers Program at the Berkeley County YMCA
Program starts May 1st – Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am-11am
What is the SilverSneakers Fitness Program?
SilverSneakers is a fun, energizing program that helps older adults take greater control of their health by encouraging physical activity and offering social events.
Unlock the door to greater independence and a healthier life with SilverSneakers. Health plans around the country offer our award-winning program to people who are eligible for Medicare or to group retirees. SilverSneakers provides amembership to any participating location across the country. This great benefit includes:
- access to conditioning classes, exercise equipment and other available amenities
- customized SilverSneakers classes designed exclusively for older adults who want to improve their strength, flexibility, balance and endurance
- health education seminars and other events that promote the benefits of a healthy lifestyle
- a specially trained Program AdvisorSM to introduce you to SilverSneakers and help you get started
- member-only access to online support that can help you lose weight, quit smoking or reduce your stress
- SilverSneakers Steps for members without convenient access to a location. Please call 1-888-423-4632 (TTY: 711) to find out if your health plan offers SilverSneakers Steps
Enjoy the benefits of SilverSneakers
SilverSneakers group exercise classes offer you the best opportunity to stay on track toward your health and fitness goals. Our signature classes are designed specifically for older adults and taught by specially trained, certified instructors. You are sure to find a class that suits your need and abilities.
SilverSneakers® Muscular Strength & Range of Movement
Have fun and move to the music through a variety of exercises designed to increase muscular strength, range of movement and activities for daily living. Hand-held weights, elastic tubing with handles, and a SilverSneakers ball are offered for resistance. A chair is used for seated and/or standing support.
SilverSneakers® Cardio Circuit
Combine fun with fitness to increase your cardiovascular and muscular endurance power with a standing circuit workout. Upper-body strength work with hand-held weights, elastic tubing with handles, and a SilverSneakers ball is alternated with non-impact aerobic choreography. A chair is offered for support, stretching, and relaxation exercises.
Get Up & Go with an aerobics class for you – safe, heart-healthy and gentle on the joints. The workout includes easy-to-follow low-impact movement, and upper-body strength, abdominal conditioning, stretching and relaxation exercises designed to energize your active lifestyle.
YogaStretch will move your whole body through a complete series of seated and standing yoga poses. Chair support is offered to safely perform a variety of postures designed to increase flexibility, balance and range of movement. Restorative breathing exercises and final relaxation will promote stress reduction and mental clarity.
Eligibility: Find out if your health plan offers this award-winning program. If you are eligible for Medicare or are a group retiree, call and see if your health plan offers our program. You will be provided with a Silver Sneakers membership card upon registration.
- AARP MedicareComplete® by UnitedHealthcare (800) 643-4845
- AARP® Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan (866) 415-9975
- Humana (800) 345-8090
- Southeast Community Care (888) 998-3055
- Universal Health Care (877) 824-1344